We believe that inclusive education means supporting all pupils to learn, contribute and participate in all aspects of school life alongside their peers. Our curriculum includes, not only the formal requirements of the National Curriculum, but also a range of additional opportunities to enrich the experiences of our children. Our curriculum also includes the social aspects that are essential for life-long learning, personal growth and development of independence.
Some of the actions we may take to achieve this are:
- Help all pupils achieve clearly set targets and outcomes to the best of their abilities, despite any difficulty or disability they may have.
- Regular assessment and monitoring by the Senior Leadership team (SLT) of Teaching and Learning, to include differentiation, personalisation and interventions
- Modify the curriculum to meet individual needs – split learning into smaller chunks and build on small steps of progress through differentiated activities, small group work and some, one to one supervision and support
- Provide support, space, resources, expertise, interventions, routines and care for individuals – E.G. Classrooms that are ‘Dyslexia or ASC friendly’
- Ensure that teaching staff are well trained and aware of and sensitive to the needs of all pupils, teaching pupils in a way that is more appropriate to their needs.
- To make sure staff know children well and so provide suitable provision for children with SEND to fully develop their abilities, interests and aptitudes and gain maximum access to the curriculum.
- Seek and follow the advice and recommended actions/outcomes from any external agency assessment and monitor and review progress carefully
At Sedgefield Hardwick we do our best to ensure that all children are offered the opportunity to participate in activities outside the classroom and extra-curricular activities. We ensure that reasonable adjustments are made to enable children with SEND to access a full curriculum and to enrich the experiences of all pupils. We are prepared to seek advice, resources, equipment and training in order to provide high quality experiences for our children. Many settings offer support and advice in meeting the needs of children with SEND and offer specific risk assessments which are sent to the school prior to school outings or visits. As a school we ensure that suitable and accessible transport is provided and that comprehensive risk assessments cover travel arrangements to ensure that all children are safe during excursions.
More details on how we adapt information, our environment and curriculum can be found in the Accessibility Plan which you ca find in the School Policies section of our website.